Production of components by taking initial methods in the form of powder is called Powder Metallurgy.In this article,I am going to explain about what is the Present and Future Scope of Powder Metallurgy with its advantages and disadvantages in a detailed manner.
The contents of Powder Metallurgy are shown below.
- Introduction to Powder Metallurgy(PM)
- What makes the Powder Metallurgy to exist?
- Difference b/w Red Brick formation & Powder Metallurgy
- Powder Metallurgy Processes
- Markets for Powder Metallurgy components
- Advantages & Dis-Advantages
- Failure Criteria of PM components
- Present and Future Scope
The detailed explanation of above contents are shown below.
INTRODUCTION TO POWDER METALLURGY
- A form of Powder Metallurgy existed in Egypt as early as 3000 B.C
- Used in 19thcentuary to produce Platinum and Tungsten wires.
- Utilized in Germany for producing Tungsten carbide cutting tools after 1stWorld war.
Production of components by using initial methods in the form of powders is known as powder metallurgy.
What makes Powder Metallurgy to exists?
Failure of General alloy formation makes the powder metallurgy to exist.
**For failures and Differences of “Red Brick Formation and Powder Metallurgy”,refer PPT
POWDER METALLURGY Processes
1.Production of Powders:
- Molten liquid is pressurized(P) and allowed to travel through nozzle of dia(Dn).
- Molten liq. Will break into spherical droplets and are cooled in quench medium.
- They will be solidified and a powder of partcle size(Dp) is produced.
M1 +M2 +M3 ———–> powders
Wet condition of powder mixture will be kept in the mould and is subjected to compression load under pressure.
- After compaction, the wet condition of powder mixture is called compact.
- The compact possess low strength compared to final strength of component called Green Strength.
- The compact is heated to 80% of M.P. temperature.
- Due to this chemical bonds will form among atoms and thereby,strength increases.
- Sintering is performed in inert atm.(N2/Ar) or in presence of vaccum to avoid oxidation.
- After sintering,the compact will achieve tremendous strength called as final strength.
- Alloys can be created from high MP metals including MO,W,Tantalum.
- Used for metals that are too hard to machine.
- In Superhard cutting tool bits,the tips will be coated with Fe3C,WC,SIC coatings by PMP.
- In production of Ceramics(sustain a temp. of 3000’c),PMP will be used.
- Powder metallurgy components possess high compressive strength.
- Powder metallurgy components are expensive compared to General alloy formation method.
- Difficult to produce large & complex shapes with uniform density.
- Tensile strength is low.
- Al,Mg,Sb,Bi,As,Ti powders should not be used because they will undergo explosion at the time of compaction.
Markets for Powder Metallurgy components
- Around 80% of automotive applications are from powder metallurgy.
- 75%- components for transmissions and for engines
Future scope of Powder Metallurgy Process
- Light weight technology and engine down sizing in Automotive fields.
- Hitachi chemicals:
Engaged in the development of wear resistant parts, structural parts,magnetic parts(soft magnetic materials) for the development of high performance parts as next-generation products.
You can also read more about:
- What is the material selection for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle(Drone)?
- What is smart note taker and where we can use it?
- What is Blue Brain and How a man thinks even after his death?
The images w.r.t processes are presented with complete explanation in the PPT shown below .
This is the complete information about Powder Metallurgy Processes in detailed.