As the name suggests that the system is Damped,It means a Damper is present in the system which is used to absorb the vibrations.But the system doesn’t undergoes any external force which means the system is under natural vibrations also called free vibrations.The entire system with all these specifications is called Damped free vibratory system.In this article,I am going to explain about What is Damped Free Vibrations in an effective manner.
Explanation of Damped Free Vibrations:
- Free vibrations are oscillations where the total energy stays the same over time.
- This means that the amplitude of the vibration stays the same.
- This is a theoretical idea because in real systems the energy is dissipated to the surroundings over time and the amplitude decays away to zero, this dissipation of energy is called damping.
You can also read more about:
- What is damped forced Vibrations?
- What is the theory of vibrations due to unbalance?
- What are the methods to analyze nonlinear vibratory systems?
The PPT shown below illustrates Damped Free Vibrations in detailed.