A process plan for a new part is created by recalling, identifying and retrieving the existing plan for a similar part and making necessary modifications for the new part.In this article,I am going to discuss about Advantages and limitations of VARIANT Computer Aided Process Planning (VCAPP) in a detailed manner.
Steps involved in VARIANT Computer Aided Process Planning are as follows:
- Define the coding system
- Group the parts into part families
- Develop a standard process plan
- Retrieve and modify the standard plan
Retrieval Computer Aided Process Planning:
- Based on the principles of GT
- Also called as Variant CAPP
- GT: Group Technology
Concept of grouping parts together depending upon their similarities in operation sequence or geometry is called Group technology.
- Experts’ knowledge and standard process plans as per GT are needed as data base
- Considerable work is required to collect and organize data.
Salient points of variant process planning:
•Easy to build, learn and use
•Experienced process planners are still required to edit the process plan
•Cannot be used in an entirely automated manufacturing system without additional process planning
Problems Associated with Variant PP:
- The components to be planned are limited to similar components previously planned.
- Experienced process planners are still required to modify the standard plan for the specific component.
- Variant planning cannot be used in an entirely automated manufacturing system, without additional process planning
These are the Advantages and Limitations of VARIANT Computer Aided Process Planning .
You can also know about:
- Definition with suitable steps involved in Process Planning(PP).
- What is the Structure and Advantages of Generative Computer Aided Process Planning(GCAPP)?
- What is the structure of Computer Aided Process Planning(CAPP)?
This is the complete explanation of Advantages and Limitations of VARIANT Computer Aided Process Planning (VCAPP) which is shown in a detailed manner. If you have any doubts, feel free to ask from the comments section. Please Share and Like this blog with the whole world so that it can reach to many.