A die is a specialized tool used in manufacturing industries to cut or shape the material mostly using a Press.Like molds,dies are generally customized to the item they are used to create.Products made with dies range from simple paper clips to complex pieces used in advanced technology.In this article,I will be exploring about the 5+ Types of Dies used in Sheet Metal Operations at respective stages and strokes.
Different types of dies:
The different types of dies used in sheet metal operations are as follows:
- Simple Die
- Compound Die
- Progressive Die
- Transfer Die
- Combination Die
- Multiple Die
The Detailed Explanation of all the above mentioned dies are described below.
Types of Dies-Explanation:
The different types of dies are as follows.
If only one operation is performed in One Stroke and at One Stage is called as Simple Die.
If more than one cutting operation is performed in one stroke and at one stage called as Compound Die.
One component is produced for stroke.Hence,production rate is high.
- Both of the methods of reducing the punch force cannot be used.Therefore,the force required for compound die will be higher.
- Design and Manufacturing of punch and die combination is difficult if the no. of operations is greater than 3.
In this,more than one cutting operation will be performed in one stroke but at different stages and punched out sheet is progressing from one stage to another stage for completing the punching operations so that Blanking will be the last operation.
- In this also,one component is produced for stroke.Therefore production rate is same as that of compound die.
- In addition,either by providing the shear or by staggering the punches methadology,the force required will be reduced.
- In addition,because the operation is performed at different stages,the design and manufacturing of punch and die combination is easier with whatever may be the no.of operations.
- But the only problem is balancing of forces on the punch head is difficult.
It is same as that of Progressive die,but the blanking will be the 1st operation so that the blank produced in the 1st stage is travelling from one to another stage for completing punching operations.
When compared to progressive die,the blank has to be set in each and every stage but any type of strap-strip layout is possible to implement.
If more than one Cutting and Forming operations are combined together and performing one stroke at one stage is called Combination Die.
- Blanking combined with Deep drawing
- Punching combined with Deep drawing
- Blanking combined with bending etc.
In all the above dies,only one component is produced per stroke,but if more than one component is required to be produced more than one of the above dies will be kept in parallel called as multiple die.
To produce 10 washers per stroke,10 compound dies or 10 progressive dies are kept in parallel called as multiple die.
This is the detailed explanation of different types of dies used in sheet metal operations.
Click the below links to know:
- Which Mechanical Software’s should learn by a mechanical Engineering student to stand in the real world?
- Top 12 Mechanical Engineering websites for the students to visit regularly
- Mechanical Projects list (2017-2018) of all domains in Mechanical Engineering
- How the welding is categorized based on Fusion,Non-Fusion and Pressure welding? or What are the different types of welding processes?
- 125+Updated List of Automation and Mechatronics projects for Mechanical students
Hope this article is helpful to you.If you like this article,please Share it with others.