Properties of polymers or plastics plays a vital role in the field of Mechanical Engineering.When you want to apply any type of load on a particular member,you need to know its material properties,density etc.For that,in this article,I am exploring the necessary properties of polymers in a detailed manner.
Top 11 Properties of Polymers or plastics:
The Properties of Polymers or plastics which are essential for any mechanical engineer are as follows:
- Bond: It possess a Covalent bond.
- Strength: The strength of polymer is low when compared with Metals.
- Binding Energy: The formation of C,H&O atoms forms a polymer.The distance between the atoms is more when compared with metals and thereby the Binding energy is low.
- Ductility: It possess good ductility also.
- Conductivity: The polymers possess bad electrical conductivity because of the absence of free electrons.
- Thermal Conductivity: The polymers possess bad thermal conductivity.
- Density: The polymers possess low density which means that the weight of the polymer is less and this is one of the advantage of polymers.
- Corrosiveness: The polymers are Anti-Corrosive to the environment.
- Servicing Temperature: The servicing temperature of the polymer is 300̊ C.
- Hazardous: It is hazardous and is not environmental friendly.
- Recyclability: The polymers are recyclable in nature.
These are the top 11 properties of polymers or plastics which are discussed in a detailed manner.Hope this article is helpful to you.If you like this article,share it with the rest of the world.
You should also know about:
If you want to suggest any of the other properties of Polymers or Plastics,you are always most welcome.