In order to prepare a component in casting process,the mould is used.The molten metal is poured into the mould cavity and is allowed for solidification.In order to prepare the mould,two methods are generally used.Therefore in this article,I will be explaining about the Top 4 Machine Moulding operations used in Casting Process in a detailed manner.
- Hand Moulding method
- Machine Moulding method
Hand Moulding method is generally used in institutions whereas Machine Moulding method is used in industrial applications.
The 4 Machine Moulding operations used in casting process are as follows:
- Jolting Operation
- Squeezing Operation
- Jolting and Squeezing Operations
- Sand Slinging Operation
The detailed explanation of Jolting operation is as follows.
1.Machine Moulding-Jolting Operation:
- A sand filled mould is raised to certain amount of height so that it possess potential energy.
- When it is allowed to form freely on to the ground,the Potential energy is converted into Impact energy and Impact loading which is acting on to the ground.
- Whereas the equal and opposite reaction impact load produced by the ground will be acting on to the mould for ramming and compressing of the mould called as Jolting Operation.
- Because the force applied by the ground may not be transmitted upto the top of the mould,hence the bottom of the mould is attaining higher strength and hardness.
- But the top of the mould is possessing lower strength and hardness.
2.Machine Moulding-Squeezing Operation:
- A plate is placed on the top of the sand mould and apply the load by using hydraulic or Mechanical press.So,that ramming or compressing of moulding sand will be taking place.
- With Squeezing operation,higher strength and Hardness of the mould is obtained on top and lower strength and hardness is obtained at bottom.
- By combining Jolting and Squeezing operation,it is possible to attain higher strength and hardness throughout the mould.
- But,Always Jolting will done first and then Squeezing.
- Machine Moulding-Jolting and Squeezing Operations:
- The Jolting and Squeezing methods will give the uniform strength and hardness,if the height of the mould is less than 200 mm.
- If height of the mould is greater than 200 mm,top and bottom will be getting higher strength but middle of the mould is at lower strength.
4.Machine Moulding-Sand Slinging Operation:
To get the uniform strength throughout the mould with whatever may be the height of the mould,the best process is Sand Slinging Operation.
- In Sand slinging operation,small quantities of moulding sand will be thrown in to the mouldwith certain amount of force so that localized ramming action will be taking place and it gives the uniform strength and hardness of the mould with whatever may be the height of the mould.
- The Sand Slinging equipment is costly and also when the molten sand is thrown on to the projection,it may damages the projection present on the pattern.
- Hence this method cannot be used for producing the moulds with pattern having projections and Extinctions.
This is the complete explanation of Machine moulding operations in a detailed way.You can view the Hand Moulding operation Here.
What others are reading:
- Hand Moulding Method used in Casting Process-Ramming and Compressing
- What are the 5 crucial steps of Metal Casting process?
- What are the different Types of allowances in Casting process?
- What is the step by step procedure for Investment Casting Process?
I Hope that,this article is helpful to you.If you like this article,please share it to others because sharing is caring.