Water Jet Machining and Abrasive Water Jet Machining:In this article,I will be explaining about the few concepts of Water Jet Machining (WJM) and Abrasive Water Jet Machining (AWJM) which you must know for GATE Exam.The Apparatus for WJM and AWJM was shown in the images below.You can collect the data from the Images and the rest theory was presented below.The points which are important are bolded in size so that you can easily take the information from this article.
Water Jet Machining Process:
- When very high pressure water is passing through the convergent nozzle the pressure energy is converted into velocity energy or kinetic energy.
- Therefore the water is coming out from the nozzle at a very high velocity which is obtained to be 200 to 400 m per second.
- When this high velocity water Jet is impinging onto the work piece,the continuous impact load is acting onto it.
- Therefore very soft materials will experience plastic deformation and fracturing.
- From the above,the mechanism of material removal is due to plastic deformation and fracturing and also called as a Etching process.
- In this,the Material Removal Rate(MRR) is directly proportional to the velocity of water jet and this velocity is depends on the distance between the nozzle tip and work piece.
- In this,no tool is used and only nozzle is used and to with stand for higher pressures.
- The nozzle is made by using Tungsten Carbide.
9.Medium : Water
10.Wear Ratio : Infinity.
Advantages of Water Jet Machining:
11.Very soft materials like rubber can be easily machined
12.No electrical conductivity of work piece is required
13.No thermal effects on the work piece are required.
Limitations of Water Jet Machining:
14.Pressurizing the water to very high pressure is difficult.
15.This method can’t be used for machining of hard materials.
16.Developed for cutting of very soft materials like rubber.
Abrasive Water Jet Machining Process
The Abrasive Water Jet Machining Process is an advanced of Water Jet Machining Process which includes Abrasives as a medium.The detailed explanation of Abrasive Water Jet Machining Process was presented below.
17.To overcome the second disadvantage of water jet machining,the abrasive particles will be added into the water so that the abrasive particles also comes out from the nozzle at very high velocity.
18.When this high velocity Abrasive particles are impinging onto the hard work piece’s, it is possible to produce plastic deformation fracturing in the hard work materials also and this process is called as Abrasive water jet machining.
19.As the percentage of abrasives are increasing,the material removal also increases but the flow characteristics of liquid mixture is coming down. Therefore the optimum percentage of abrasives will be about 40 to 60%.
20.It is mainly developed for cutting of granite and marble of complex shapes.
This is the complete explanation about Water Jet Machining and Abrasive Water Jet Machining Process in a detailed manner.These processes will come under Non-Traditional Machining Processes which carries 1 Mark for GATE Exam point of View.
You can also See:
- Abrasive Water Jet Machining processe11 Points to know from Ultrasonic Machining Method-1 Mark from GATE(Production)|Advantages,Dis Advantages & Applications
- 8 Limitations and Methods You Must know for the Occurrence of Non-Traditional Machining Methods-GATE
- 31 Mechanical properties of metals that every Mechanical engineer must know-Interview
- 20 G-Codes and M-Codes(14) of CNC Part Programming-Especially for GATE Exam
Like this Article….?Then Share it…